Friday, November 27, 2009

FREEDOM of choice RETURNS

On Friday the 13th this month, I finally submitted all my paperwork for my Permanent Resident Visa. I always get nervous going to the visa office; even to the brand new one all shiny and fresh at Cosmo Square.


I put on my favourite blue vintage dress beautiful, shawl, gloves, pearls and lipstick and set off.

So many people had warned me about the "new proposed guidelines" for visa renewal (something that I wrote about in September on this blog), demanding that we hold Japanese National Health Insurance to proceed in the visa process.

I ignored all people trying to scare me, and take away the glory and satisfaction I felt in the whole concept of getting a new visa status golden. Of course when I got to the office, nothing was ever mentioned. The whole experience was rather calm, friendly and coming-of-age-like.

An e-mail from a friend yesterday confirmed some good news about the "proposed" visa changes. Foreigners living in Japan can choose the health coverage they desire without fearing it will negatively influence their visa renewal. Hurrah for that!

http://www.freechoice.jp/immigration-guideline-8.asp


2 comments:

  1. sending good vibes to ensure that it all goes smoooooooothly! What an incredible chapter in your life-novel : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly liked the "accidental" day off on Friday the 13th for the Momoyama Festival. GREAT date!

    I got up super super early to write the J and E stories about "WHY do you want a PERMAMNENT residence visa"?

    One draft. From the soul. Powerful stuff.

    The lady checking over my paperwork before submission, giggled at my Japanese story. "Quite poetic isn't it?" she said.

    Kyaaaaa. Hazukashii.

    All good vibes. YES. Stepping in. THANK you. FEELS big.

    ReplyDelete